Sunday, November 16, 2008

V Mail To Bing From Art-Nov. 25, 1943

Dearest Bing:

Just received your letters of November 9th and 12th, and they came just in time to help me celebrate Thanksgiving. I wrote to you just the other night bitching a little because I haven't heard from you for so long. Now I feel a little better. Of course I have received only on package out of about one dozen so I can always find something to cuss about when I'm down and out. I am taking quite a chance starting this letter out single space, who knows that when I get down a couple paragraphs I might run out of news then start to stretch it out in order to make in last until I get to the bottom of the page. So if you find that I start to double space you will know what happened.

I am sure sorry that I missed Bob Brath when he was over in North Africa. He sure is a lucky one to be back home. I suppose he realizes that once he has left the States. Any one of those fellows over there who goes around wishing he was over here sure isn't in his right mind.

It seems that every time you write, Alvin is going to get a Furlough or a few days off. It would be just his luck to be stationed right near you, but I guess some people have all the luck. If you are going to enveigle him into a bowling game I'm going to write to him and give him a few pointers on how to bowl. From the scores you say you make you should give him at least a few games practice before you start in on him. When I get back you are going to have to let me have plenty of practice. Right now I'd be doing good if I could hit anywhere near a hundred. I would even have to start in on one of those cork balls until I got used to heaving one of those 16 pound babies.

You don't suppose you could pick me up some cheap camera somewhere and a good supply of film. I suppose the thing to do would be hunt up a supply of film first and then go get a camera to fit the film. From what you say, it is very hard to get any film at all. Maybe you could pick up some odd size at some out of the way store. If you do happen to hit it lucky don't pay to much for a camera, because they are make kind of delicate and they have a long ways to come and are liable to become broken in shipment. It is possible I may get some good pictures over here. I may take on of myself, who knows? They don't do such a hot job of developing them but I guess they do the best they can with the materials they have to work with. In placing this request I don't mean for you to go right out and shop for one. Just keep your eye out for one and if you happen to see one and it doesn't cost too much get it.

Well honey I guess I have reached the place where I will either have to double space or sign off. Maybe it would be just as well to save some of the news which I haven't got, until the next letter. Just as well, I just found out I make it to the bottom anyhow. Goodby for now.

Love and kisses
Art

No comments: